Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rebranding myself

Kevin has long argued that I need "a concept" for my blog, that "all things in moderation" is really too random and catch-all, and therefore it will never find a niche audience, and I will never become rich and famous like Julie of "Julie and Julia" fame. I have ignored his suggestion for several reasons, the first being of course that I will never become rich and famous like Julie of "Julie and Julia" fame no matter what I write, so I might as well make it easy on myself and just write about whatever pops in my head/whatever I want to bitch about that day.

Another reason I have ignored him is that I have no concept. Someone has already read the entire encyclopedia and written about that, dammit, otherwise I would totally do that. OK, maybe not, but I would totally watch every episode of Oprah and do everything she says and buy every product she recommends, but dammit if someone hasn't already done that, too. Then of course there is Julie herself, who cooked her way through Julia Childs and wrote about that. But cooking dinner, period, mostly Hamburger Helper in my case, is a major achievement for me, but funnily enough not one that others would find monumental enough to want to read about. And I am no longer qualified to write about politics, books, movies, or current events since last time I had time to check, Joe Lieberman was a Democrat, Arlen Specter was a Republican, Lindsay Lohan was a major movie star, and Michael Jackson was just creepy, not dead. At bottom my problem with the "concept" concept was that all concepts require I actually do something besides just write about it. And I don't do anything.

The one thing I do is be a mother, but that still seems awfully trite to write about. There are a ka-jillion blogs and books about motherhood. I mean, there are only so many poop jokes or breastfeeding diatribes out there. So this is not likely to be a raging success. But it's all I have, so we'll give it a whirl.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the "rebranding"! As you're always clever and funny I'm sure it will work out.

    I was listening to an article a few weeks ago on one of the NPR shows talking about whether or not the Pope should blog. Yes really, the blogging Pope. In their discussion they pointed out that he (in this case I think it might actually be his staff) needed to be prepared with a list of things to post in case he didn't have anything to "write" about, youtubes, etc.

    Honestly, I think they hit on one of the keys to successful blogging, frequency. In my opinion, it's not always the quality but the quantity that builds readership in the blogosphere. Of course, if you can have both quality output and frequent output you might just become Julie of "Julie and Julia" (loved the movie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa, look at all these changes!! can't wait to see what you have to say on motherhood because one of the other blogs I follow (coffeecottage) is about a mother of six children, five under the age of 3, and she grinds her own flour! has her own chickens in the backyard for eggs, and always looks beautiful and fashionable and basically perfect, and it is just depressing sometimes. you inject humor in my life. good luck!

    ReplyDelete