Monday, February 1, 2010

I like you, I really like you

The blogosphere is pretty laid back in terms of etiquette--people in fact exhibit fairly appalling behavior on the internet in general, hidden behind their avatars, usernames, anonymous profiles and such--but there is one sort-of, kind-of, maybe "rule," which is: If you read my blog, I'll read yours. When I had oodles of time to blog, circa 2005 when I had no child and no job, I found the quickest way to build my own readership was to read jillions of other people's blogs and throw a comment on there every once and awhile about how insightful or witty everyone was. Don't get me wrong, there a lot of brilliant bloggers--so many, it becomes obvious to to an observant person that she does not have any special talent. But telling them as much, it turns out, breeds appreciation, and before long, I had quite a devoted following. It could be that some people are great enough writers they attract mobs of readers to their blogs without any extra effort. But I'm guessing most people have to resort to ego-stroking, and that is certainly the only success I have ever had.

Except now, I have no time, so I have few readers. I do have several very devoted, probably insane friends who read this blog fairly regularly and in fact have blogs themselves. But I don't read their blogs (gasp!), nor am I apt to, except on the odd occasion. It's not that I don't care about them or their thoughts, but....OK, I'm just going to admit it, I care about me and my thoughts more (double gasp!). Yeah, that's right, I'm in this for myself. Just call me the Self-Centered Blogger. The good news is I will assume that the reason you have a blog is that you, too, are self-centered, and therefore I don't expect you to read my blog either.

So to re-cap: Most of the blogosphere is made up of completely isolated blogs authored by people who are so self-centered they read no other blogs and therefore acquire no readers; and blogs authored by people who are so self-centered they read millions of blogs in pursuit of millions of readers for their own blogs and thus build a community of self-centered people feeding each others' egos. A cynic might say it's pretty much a mirror of actual human society, but I won't go that far. I like people in real life, I'm just not going to read their blogs, because that requires a lot of effort, literacy, and eye strength, and I'm low on all that these days.

Then there are, of course, those of you who are actually reading this and are clearly not that low of human beings and therefore should take no offense at this post. But neither should you expect me to read your blog.

1 comment:

  1. I read you because you are brilliant and hilarious and I would read you even if you didn't read me.

    ReplyDelete